5 Tips for Planning a Loft Conversion
By • February 18, 2014 • loft conversions
A loft conversion is a fantastic way of adding more space to your house without having to go through the stress of moving. It’s also been shown by the RICS to increase the value of your house by up to 25% for just a third of the cost of moving house.
Here are 5 tips to consider when planning a Yorkshire loft conversion, and any other for that matter:
- Permanent access – if a conversion is to be used as a bedroom or bathroom or study then it needs to be accessed by a permanent staircase
- Time – it will normally take around 4 or 5 weeks to complete a loft conversion and this can be disruptive in your house so you need to be prepared for it.
- Cost – You’ll know the costs of the loft conversion itself prior to committing, but be ready for unsuspected costs with electrics, plumbing and other areas affected by building work
- Permission – make sure you don’t need planning permission for your loft conversion. Usually you won’t need it, but it’s best to be safe before than annoyed after
- Safety – Safety considerations should be top of the list when you’re planning, ensuring fire regulations are kept to and emergency exits are available